Community Services encompasses those services that are broadly applicable city or community-wide. The core functions of the section include the following:
- Facilitates community visioning
- Develops policy on land use, sustainability, environment and urban design
- Prepares and maintains the General Plan, and specific plans
- Leads and prepares regulatory initiatives
- Maintains land use codes and development standards
- Administers housing programs; equity in housing
- Enforces land use regulations
The divisions that fall within Community Service include the following:
The Advanced Planning division addresses long-range planning issues; monitors and updates the City's General Plan and implementing ordinances; and, addresses regional planning issues affecting Encinitas.
The Code Enforcement division responds to inquiries and complaints regarding Municipal Code and Building Code violations, operating primarily on a complaint basis with priority given to health and safety issues. Code Enforcement is also responsible for the administration of the Private Property Clean-up Assistance Program, Proactive Compliance Program for Alcohol Serving Businesses, contested parking citations review, graffiti removal program, and abandoned vehicle abatement.
The Housing section administers and monitors a variety of housing and community development programs and activities - Section 8 rental assistance program, Community Development Block Grant and Home Investment Partnership programs, homeless assistance, inclusionary housing, and other affordable housing opportunities.